Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Camp Announcements -- A Message From the Head Counselor

-Contributed by Luke Merrill

Welcome fellow campers to Horror Camp, a celebration of the macabre in our day to day life.  From the ridiculously hokey to the truly terrifying Horror has touched our lives in the movies we watch, books we read, and stories we tell around the campfire.

The personal triumph we experience as we encounter these tales is how we empathize with the heroes, or more likely heroines, of these stories.  As a spectator you can place yourself in these impossible circumstances and to a lesser degree overcome your own terror to conquer whatever ancient evil may lurk in the shadows that are out to get you.

At Horror Camp we want our campers to take full advantage of the facilities and range of activities that the camp will have to offer. Some of which include recipes from the Mess Hall, Recreation Time, to tales around the campfire.

Horror Camp aims to provide you with reviews on upcoming events along with reviews of horror in movies and day to day life. We want to enjoy the new thrillers in the theaters, the nostalgic one we love and grew up with, and the directors and creators who make continuing advances in the genre.



I have a personal affection for all things horror, because it’s fun being scared and terrified. And I hope to share this with all my fellow campers while we celebrate a genre that has been making us scared of the dark since we were young enough to demand nightlights in our bedrooms.

Tags: Camp Announcements, Horror Camp, 

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to content of your blog. I'm not a big horror movie buff, but I am familiar with many of the common themes. There is a really awesome class offered here at IUSB titled, "Women in Comics" ENG 190. The class looks at how women are portrayed in graphic novels, in addition to movies, tv, and other visual media. There was a large section of the semester where we concentrated on horror films, and the classic "final girl/heroine" archetype. I don't know about you, but I really enjoyed "Cabin in the Woods" and how it examined these sorts of archetypes and themes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I was late on "Cabin" but I really hyped it up to everyone I ran into after I saw it, what can't Whedon do. His run on Astonishing XMen brought me back into the comics fold.

      I'm really interested in this E190 course, did they cover "Y the Last Man" or "Girls" by the Luna Bros. Those were great reads that I felt really analyzed real gender issues.

      As far as the site, I definitely want to center around horror, but not to the point I'm alienating my audience with tangents about 80's horror flicks that they would have no interest in viewing. So yeah definitely check back, I want to include content that is accessible to adept horror fans and novices alike.

      Delete